Hello everyone! So sorry for the extremely long absence. It's been a busy year so far, but I'm back and I'm baking!
What better way is there to start the week than with cookies? In fact, let's make this whole week cookie week! For me, classic cookies are everything. Nothing fancy, but when done right, there's nothing better.
These sugar cookies are simple, easy, and quick to come together. These are after-school-cookie-jar type cookies. Perfect to make for no particular reason other than that you just feel like it. They are also a hit at parties or gatherings.
If you are looking for the perfect cut-out sugar cookie for decorating, check out my post on christmas sugar cookies. They are perfect for any special occasion.
These cookies come together quickly. Like many other recipes, you'll be mixing wet and dry ingredients separately, before combining them. The dough doesn't need to chill before baking, so these can be in the oven in no time.
Before popping your dough balls onto the baking sheet, make sure you roll them in a bowl of sugar to coat. This will give them that outside layer of sugar that makes them look like they're sparkling!
Don't over bake. When the cookies are ready to come out, they will look pretty puffy, but will settle as they cool.
They should look like this when they first come out of the oven. They look puffy and still white, if they have started to go golden they are over baked. If you give the cookies a light tap with your fingers, they shouldn't give at all, the tops should be fairly firm.
Keep a close eye on the cookies while in the oven. Ovens will vary, but they don't take long at all to bake.
These are hard to get wrong, it's all about timing. Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature, don't over mix or over bake, and you should be fine!
- 2 3/4 cups (358g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (224g) unsalted butter, room temperature but not melty
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (233g) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (28g) light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar (additional for rolling)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside. 3. Cream the butter and sugars together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. 4. Add the egg and mix until well combined.
5. Add the vanilla extract and mix until well combined. 6. Add the dry ingredients and mix until the dough is well combined. It should be thick and form a large ball of dough. 7. Create 1 1/2 tablespoon sized balls of cookie dough. Gently roll into a ball, then roll each ball in sugar to coat. Set the balls on the baking sheet. 8. Bake cookies for 7-8 minutes. The cookies will spread and the centers will look soft, but should feel done with a light tap. Don't over bake! The cookies should still be white, do not wait until the edges are golden. 9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on baking sheets for 4-5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.