You guys, Christmas is fast approaching and I'm just now making my first batch of Christmas cookies! Forget shopping, I need to get baking!
There are many different variations on this classic cookie so these are great for any occasion, but for some reason I associate them with Christmas. We're talking thumbprint cookies!
I love giving cookies as gifts and making them for every holiday gathering no matter how fancy or casual. These are super easy, quick, perfect for that last minute get together.
I let the dough chill for an hour before rolling them into balls, but if you're in a rush, 30 minutes is enough!
Once completely cool, dust with powdered sugar and enjoy! Store the cookies in an airtight container and they will keep for a few days.
Here's a quick video of these beauties coming together, find the full recipe below. This delicious recipe is made with pantry staples, and no fancy equipment is needed! (You'll see I used ziploc bags to pipe the jam into the dough, works a treat!)
1 cup butter (2 sticks)- soft, not melted
1/2 cup powdered sugar + more for dusting
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup thick fruit preserve
1. Mix butter and sugar with paddle until creamy and light, About 2 to 3 mins.
2. Add vanilla and salt.
3. Gradually mix in flour just until combined. Dough should be somewhat sticky.
4. Form into ball, cover, and chill for 30 to 60 mins.
5. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
6. Roll tbsp. of dough into 1 inch balls.
7. Create well in the center of each ball with pinky finger or handle end of spatula (I use one of the mixers from my handheld electric mixer). Make a deep well, but not too wide.
8. Fill centers generously with Jam preserves. Fill almost to overflowing, the preserves will sink down into the cookie a little while baking.
9. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until slightly golden and puffy.
10. Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheet than transfer to rack.
11. When cookies are completely cool, dust with powdered sugar
*Store in airtight container at room temperature
*Cookies will keep for a few days