The weather is getting colder so it's time for some hot comfort food! After Christmas, the winter can be depressing. Even for me, a cold weather lover, these dark days can get me down. I'm not encouraging emotional eating, but having this meal to look forward to brightens the day just a little bit!
This is one of my husband's favorites. When he's on his way home from work, walking through the cold, wet, wintery streets of Manhattan, knowing this is waiting for him at home makes it all worth it. At least I hope...
My favorite thing about this meal is how easy it is! It's perfect for a weeknight, or a last minute dinner when you have no plan and no idea what else to make. Use your favorite biscuit recipe, leftover chicken, and Campbell's™ cream of celery soup! I use Bisquick™ for the biscuits, making it even easier!
This is honestly a no fail recipe. The ingredients come together easily and it is always delicious. Mix together the cream of celery, add cooked chicken, frozen mixed vegetables, season to taste and your filling is complete!
While the filling is heating on the stove, you can prepare the biscuity goodness that will go on top. Roll out the dough on a generously floured surface until it is about 1/4 inch thick (or whatever thickness you prefer based on your dish size).
Pour the hot filling into your dish, place the biscuit crust on top and pop that baby in the oven. It's that easy!
The fluffy biscuit crust, makes this meal more like chicken and biscuits than a traditional chicken pot pie. Perfect for us carb lovers!
I was hesitant to share this recipe, because whenever I have prepared this for guests they are always impressed. Well, the secret's out; this meal doesn't require much cooking expertise at all!
Here's the recipe. So easy, give it a try!
- 2 cans Campbell's cream of Celery soup
- 1 can milk
- Frozen mixed vegetables, as much as you like!
- A pinch of salt, a dash of pepper, and whatever other seasoning you'd like
For Crust: (From the box)
- 2 1/4 Cups Original Bisquick™ Mix
- 2/3 Cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Lightly grease a pie or casserole dish. Any medium standard size works, nothing too big or too small.
3. Over medium high heat stir together 2 cans of cream of celery soup and one can of milk until smooth and creamy.
4. Mix in chunks of cooked chicken and frozen vegetables
5. Reduce heat and let the mixture simmer.
6. While that simmers prepare the biscuit crust.
7. Mix the Bisquick and milk until well combined.
8. Roll the dough on a generously floured surface until it is 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick. Make sure it is rolled out enough to fit over your prepared dish.
9. Pour the hot filling into the prepared dish, and cover with biscuit dough crust.
10. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes. You may need to cover the dish halfway through baking to keep the top from burning.
11. Serve piping hot!...but don't burn yourself...or others...on second thought, let it cool a little 😉